Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Beyond The Things We See

As do many of you, I spend large amounts of time in front of the computer screens on my desk positioned in the center of my desk in about the middle of my office.  You may think they are the center of my life and sometimes I guess they are.  Admittedly, they get most if not all of my attention throughout the day. 

But sometimes I stop and think, daydream or look around the room beyond the computers.  This is where I am reminded of the truly important centers of my life:

On the wall in front: a picture of my wife, three daughters and son given to me on Fathers Day.

Down beside the printer, a homemade sign with simple reminders: 
  • Present choices determine future consequences
  • Today is the only day you can affect
  • You learn from the past, you plan for the future, but you deal with who you are today
  • Today is the best day there is
Beside the sign: A crucifix

Above my calendar: A Junior Achievement poster signed by all the 7th grade students I taught as a JA volunteer at Head Middle Magnet School in Nashville. (I learned quite a bit from them.)

Beside the JA poster: My two daughters in costume for last years mini-Nutcracker performance.

Below that: A framed quote (anonymous) given to me many years ago by my wife that reads "It doesn't matter where you go in life, what you do, or how much you have...It's who you have beside you."

Taped to the left monitor: GOD ALONE (as seen at the Abby of Gethsemani).

These are the the things that matter at the end of the day.  It's the good stuff, but often overlooked... like Mary's "yes" to God and the birthday of the Child Jesus we soon celebrate.

Merry Christmas to all of you!

No comments: