11 hours ago
Monday, October 18, 2010
QR Tags: New Ways to Market Your Tradeshow
What they are:
Invented in Japan, where they are everywhere, QR tags (short for Quick Response) are two dimensional codes place on - or integrated into -print ads, outdoor signs, store windows and even business cards. For the trade show exhibitor, they might be printed into your display graphics, integrated into pre-show mailings and even post-show follow-ups.
A smart phone, such as an Android or iphone, scans the codes and delivers to the mobile screen any number of data rich information: web sites, product demo videos, coupons and landing pages to collect additional information. The Hacker Group, a direct/digital marketing agency in Seattle, has rightly called this technology “a seamless link between the physical world and the online world.” Wow!
How they work:
QR tags can be generated and printed by anyone using readily available software. Your printer or tradeshow graphics designer can generate a tag as part of your display graphics. The can be produced and added to existing graphics or incorporated into new graphic designs. These tags are coded with the data and information information directed to your prospects. Tags are then scanned by smart phones or camera phones and in a matter of seconds, your banked information is transferred to the mobile smart phone. Tons of information can be transferred in seconds.
Smart phones are everywhere, especially at trade shows. With QR Tags, you can become an early adopter, differentiate yourself from the competition and connect with your target audience. This new technology tool allows for great creativity in putting together your marketing campaigns. Here are just a few ideas to get you started.
Pre-Show Mailers - the QR tag might contain this data:
- Company web site, or better yet, a show specific page. Scanning a tag is much easier and faster than typing a long URL address.
- Map of your booth location, with hours for any special presentations, seminars, demos or in-booth promotions. Make it easy to find you, especially a large shows.
- Special invitation to an after-show party or hospitality suite. Many times, its where the real business gets done.
- Offer for a special giveaway
Trade show graphics - the QR tag might contain this data:
- Product demonstration video
- Landing page to request more information (including need, budget and time frame pre-qualification)
- Video of customer testimonials
- Coupon or show special pricing
- Special giveaway - such as the i-pad promotion shown above
Post-show followup - the QR tag might contain this data:
- Business card information on the thank you note
- Video demonstration of product prospect was interested in
- Customer testimonials
NOTE: For hot prospects, you may want to use those old reliable technologies: the telephone, paper and pen.